Learners encounter personal essays whenever they need to send applications for school admission. To be accepted in college, students must present an admission essay. In fact, it is the most important requirement for every admission.
The definition of an admission essay
An admission essay is a write-up, where students present proof of their academics, and demonstrate their personality.
This kind of write-up actually has other names. For instance, it is called a personal essay, a narrative essay, an admission essay or an application essay and so forth. Regardless of what name is used, students must present their potential, explain their goals and talents which will make them a good fit in the institution they are writing to. Also, when writing, students must show how their knowledge, values or any other factors have influenced their education. There is no specific way of writing this paper. Each learner is free to approach it the way he/she feels is best to demonstrate that he/she fits in the institution.
Kinds of admission essays
When composing, there is nothing like a generic style for something. This essay may be broken down into 2 forms.
- Comprehensive or general write-up: This one gives learners all the freedom regarding what they can write. It is also known as an open subject essay and has guidelines for formatting. Learners only need to know the best manner of representing themselves.
- Particular question or response paper: This one needs learners to respond properly to a particular question. Their response will show their understanding, objectives, and expertise.
Admission essays may again be grouped as per courses, undergraduate and university graduates.
- College personal essay
This one often involves questions that learners are required to respond to. This kind of write-up is quite complicated and advanced. Learners have required to answers some questions because a graduate student is supposed to possess a particular amount of independent thinking.
When learners graduate, they gain critical thinking skills and life gives them more experiences. This, in turn, makes learners possess better ideas of what they need to keep studying and how some courses will enable them to achieve what they want. Also, considering the fact that graduate courses have financial aid where a learner is required to bring back research or teaching, applicants must show that they are able to do that. That is why most admission write-ups for graduate’s center on a learner’s working and school interest instead of vague topics.
- Undergraduate personal essay
This one often falls under comprehensive or general essays. Learners are allowed to write something that demonstrates their originality, motivation or any other thing which makes them qualify to join that institution they want to join.
Undergraduates are given open topics because, at their level, they are passionate about learning, begin something new and become adults. At this stage, the applicants do not know what will become of them after school.
Anyone who wants to join college should focus on showing how he/she has analyzed interests and the world. The learners here write about what they love and what they desire while showing how they relate to other individuals, opinions and demonstrate their personality.
Composing a personal essay
Many ideas run through people’s minds each day and when one is expected to sit and write an essay, it is not easy to determine what to write. This worsens when what you are required to write will determine if you will get admitted to college or not. But, do not get scared. There are several tips that can help you write your personal essay easily and perfectly.
You need to think and analyze thoroughly. You must evaluate your expectations, likes, academic achievement, the things that motivate you and several other things.
To simplify your writing, adhere to these guidelines:
- Think about the details you should present in your essay or how you will answer the question that has been asked.
- Prepare a draft. When creating a draft, there is no need to focus on length. Just write down anything that you have in your mind.
- Avoid rushing.
- Ensure to use a dictionary throughout your writing. This will help you use the right words and avoid overusing some words. Besides that, the paper is supposed to show your vocabulary understanding.
- Center on the things you are good at and ensure to give examples to avoid looking like you are just showing off.
- Avoid comparing your essay to those of other students. Every applicant has his/her own unique experiences, and everyone understands the world in his/her own way.
- Go through the essay when you are done with writing and see if it sounds okay.
Personal essay structure
The structure is what will make a personal essay stand out. Below it the outline which applicants should adhere to:
- Introduction This is the section where the applicants introduce themselves. It also presents the applicants’ motivations and interests. It is actually a small paragraph which also functions as the hook. It is expected to capture the attention of the readers and make them want to read the entire essay.
- Academics and accomplishments
No matter your level of education, you will have something to present in this section. You must, however, avoid exaggerating things. You only need to focus on the truth and describe what you like, your accomplishments and the plans you have for your academics.
If you are a graduate, it is good also to add an explanation of the classes you have undertaken and the teachers who have trained you.
If you are writing an open subject paper, ensure to have a paragraph for your experiences. You must, however, ensure that the experiences you write are related to your academics and have influenced your learning and life in general.
- Extracurricular activities
Do not mention your hobbies and other things in this section. Just focus on an activity that is related to your field. For instance, you can mention a project that you took part in, some voluntary work that you have done or anything else you did out of school. You just have to make sure that it is something that contributed to you, choosing the course or institution you want to join.
- Publications including any other professional achievements
In this section, learners are expected to state the publications where their work got published. This section only applies to graduates that have taken part in the research.
- What made you choose a certain institution or course
It is important to explain why you prefer the course you intend to study, and the institution you are sending your application to.
Students are required to end their personal essay with a powerful paragraph. This last paragraph must provide a summary of the student’s strengths which make him/her fit the course he/she is applying for.
Writing the best personal essay
By now you know the basic guidelines and the structure for a personal essay. However, to produce the best paper, you must adhere to the following:
- The essay must be enthusiastic, clear and natural.
- Avoid too much humor because the admission officials might not have the same sense of humor and so you will not achieve anything from it.
- Consider the message you intend to pass and ensure you pass it.
- General commentary must be avoided.
- Ensure to include examples.
- Ensure to avoid expressions or controversial comments.
- Start by creating the 1st draft then edit it and proofread thoroughly to ensure it is perfect.
- Ensure to adhere to the specified word count.
Things which must be included in an admission paper
To capture the attention of the college officers, you must:
- State why you prefer the program you are interested in.
- Provide proof which will show that you possess all the specified expectations and that you performed enough research about the course.
- Mention how you have pursued the interest in the course you are applying for beyond the present syllabus.
- Reveal why you desire to study in that institution you are sending the application to.
- Consider all your encounters and explain all the things you have learned from them and how they contributed to you choosing the program you intend to pursue.
- Present skills that are transferable.
- Show the ability to think critically.
- State your future objectives.
Things which you must never add in a personal essay
- Never copy and paste another essay that you may have written before or even one that belongs to someone else.
- Never include a lot of personal information which is not related to the course you want to study or the institution you want to attend.
- Do not use clichés too much.
- Avoid random lists
- Avoid claims that have no proof.
- Do not exaggerate things.
- Do not write negative comments or even excuses.
- Avoid vague expressions.
An example of a personal essay
Before writing a personal essay, ensure you have done enough practice, and ensure to pick the right topic when you are allowed to choose a topic on your own. The more writing practices you do, the simpler it can become to compose admission essays.
College personal essay example
- Why do you desire to pursue a graduate course and how is it relevant to your future objectives?
- Which qualifications do you possess?
- Which encounter in your school life has given you interest in the program you intend to pursue?
- Which setbacks are you encountering currently and how can the course you intend to enable you to tackle them?
In films, if a young person has a journal it implies that he/she is keeping secrets. For me, having a journal means a lot.
One day I had emotions. I was so bored, and that boredom later changed into anger. This is when I took my journal and wrote down a few poems. Later when I went back and read what I wrote, I felt so happy for myself. I was happy because I had turned by bad emotions into something creative. Since then, I always carry my journal because I felt like it could help me overcome my emotions.
But every time I went with my journal to school other students used to look at me and they could attempt to check and see what I was writing there.
Having my journal helped me become more creative in writing and I even become more confident in myself. I even felt that if a journal can fulfill me this much then it may help those other students who were curious to see what I write too. So, I started giving my journal to those students to write. Within no time, my journal was full of other students’ emotions.
They were able to trust me with their emotions, and they even expressed them using sketches, songs, and poems. A lot of students even got inspired to have their own journals too.
Journaling has improved my life a lot, and I am looking forward to pursuing media and communications courses. I want to listen to the ideas of other people, and combine them with mine. This combination will produce something useful that the rest of the world will want to hear.
Undergraduate personal essay example
- Explain the achievement, encounter or discoveries which made you grow and understand yourself and different individuals better.
- Describe a time when you faced a setback and how it affected you. Did the setback teach you anything?
- Explain a problem which you fixed or an issue which you strongly believe you will fix one day.
- Talk about your dreams.
This is how students will compose the best admission essay. And should not have enough time, or he/she is having difficulties writing one, there are professional writing services where anyone may get assistance.